Monday, June 18, 2012

My Story as an Illegal Alien (Thank you President Obama)

I used to be an illegal immigrant, this is my story:


I am extremely happy about President Obama’s announcement tonot deport illegal immigrants who were brought to the United States as aminor. I’m sure everyone who is myfriend on facebook has noticed my elation. I’m sure I’ve probably offended some of them/you because of myopinions. The purpose of this post is tolet everyone know my story and know why I feel so strongly about this issue.

I was born in Piedras Negras, Mexico. This is a border town. You can see my little town from Eagle Pass,TX. I’m sure you could also throw a rockacross the river and hit the city I was born in.

My parents got a tourist visa when I was 18 months old anddecided to go to Texas to see my grandparents. Now, you are probably wondering why my grandparents lived in Texas and notin Mexico with their children. Mygrandpa received a social security number when he became a bracero. (A bracero is someone contracted from Mexicoto go and work in the fields in the United States. President Franklin D. Roosevelt made anagreement with the Mexican President at the time this started.) Since my grandpa had a social securitynumber, he could now work in the United States and had permission to be in thecountry. The last job I remember himhaving was being a janitor at my high school. So back to my parents; they came to the United States to visit myparents and decided to stay past the allotted time that their tourist visa gavethem. Now, of course, you have allconcluded that this made my family and I illegal immigrants. I did learn at some point in my life that Iwas an illegal immigrant just by hearing the worries that my family at certaintimes in my life. For example, I canremember when my parents were worrying about being able to renew their driver’slicense because Texas had some new law that was requiring social securitynumbers or some other requirement of being in the country lawfully. I don’t know the exact requirements, but itcreated chaos with some of my other family members as well including some of mycousins that were also brought here as minors.

My brother was born about 6 months after my parents arrivedin Texas. My little brother, Ricky, waslucky enough to have been born in the United States. He received a social security number. He was also named after my father. Now I don’t know if this was done on purposeor if this was just my dad’s wish to have a son named after him but this gavemy dad the opportunity to work. He wasable to use my brother’s social security number as his own. My brother had perfect credit before he waseven 5 years old. My dad was able to geta job and my mom stayed home with my brother and me. When my brother and I got older, my momdecided that she needed a job but she did not have a SSN. She made money by cleaning houses. I guess you can say that she was paid underthe table. Here is where I can hear somepeople say, “Those illegal immigrants work and don’t pay taxes!” Well, that is not always true. I know there are a lot who don’t, and Iagree, and I don’t think it is fair. However, my parents did pay taxes. The U.S. does give out Tax ID numbers to anyone, even if you areillegal, so that everyone can file their taxes.

I went to school with no issues until I reached the age of16. That wonderful year that everyteenager waits for. The opportunity toget a driver’s license. Well, I didn’tget to get one. This was the year that Ireally started to care about the immigration issue. It only got worse when I found out that Icould not work. So in my mind I thought, “Whatam I going to do when I finish school?” This was my junior year and my teachers were telling me to take the SATand ACT tests. Luckily, since I was agood student, I listened to my teachers even though I knew it wouldn’t reallyhelp with my immigration status. Mysenior year, about 3 weeks before the application deadline, I decided that Ishould apply for college. I only appliedto one school, and I was accepted. I knowmy parents were surprised and they didn’t take me seriously when I told themthat I needed a deposit for an apartment. I was accepted to go to Brigham Young University in Utah. It wasn’t until my second semester at BYUthat my parents and I received a work visa. This was also exactly two weeks before I got married. You see, my parents had applied in 1990 forresidency by way of my grandfather. Since he had a SSN he could ask the government to allow his family toreceive residency. It only took about 12years. That is how long the waiting listwas. 12 YEARS! Well, I shouldn’t complain, some have waitedlonger. With a green card I was finallyable to work and I knew that I would be able to get a job when I finishedschool.

I am currently a math teacher in Texas. I have taught students of many backgroundsand have seen some amazing kids. I havealso taught students who were and still are illegal immigrants. When I talk to them about studying andgetting good grades so that they can go to college they tell me “What’s thepoint?” “I can’t get a job so why eventry?” These kids had no choice in comingto the U.S. They have had every opportunitytaken away from them. Many of them can’teven speak their native language. I don’tthink it is fair to punish these young minds when they did not have a say onwhere they were taken. Like PresidentObama said “It’s the right thing to do, period.” We’ve been waiting and waiting for the DREAMact but it has always failed to pass.

I’m not writing this to try and persuade you to change yourmind, I’m just writing this to let you know why I am so excited about this newannouncement and why I’m posting so much about it on facebook. I know many of my friends are Republicans andI respect your beliefs. I also ask thatyou respect mine. I will not be able tovote this year. I am not eligible toapply for citizenship until next year, so add that time to the 12 year waitinglist and I have been waiting (legitimately) for 22 years to become a citizen ofthe only country I have ever known. Ilove living in this country and I am indebted to this country for the educationit has given me. I would not be what Iam had my parents raised me in Mexico. Yes, this is a wonderful country. The land of opportunity. A placewhere anything is possible, no matter what you dream. I plan on helping my students with theirdreams, now that the president has made it so much more probable of dreamscoming true.

I would like to finish with a quote from President Obama's speech:

These are young people who study in our schools, they play in our neighborhoods, they’re friends with our kids, they pledge allegiance to our flag. They are Americans in their heart, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper. They were brought to this country by their parents—sometimes even as infants—and often have no idea that they’re undocumented until they apply for a job or a driver’s license, or a college scholarship.
Put yourself in their shoes. Imagine you’ve done everything right your entire life—studied hard, worked hard, maybe even graduated at the top of your class—only to suddenly face the threat of deportation to a country that you know nothing about, with a language that you may not even speak.
It's the right thing to do, period.

1 comment:

Nielsen said...

Made me cry....good job fina